Essential Oils 101
Essential oils are naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds that are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of plants. Essential oils give plants their distinctive smells. They also play a role in protecting plants and in plant pollination.
How do I use essential oils?
In addition to their intrinsic benefits to plants and their beautiful fragrance, essential oils have long been used in food preparation, beauty treatment, and health-care practices. There are hundreds of ways to use dōTERRA® essential oils, including for relaxation, personal hygiene, household cleaning, cooking and supporting a healthy body. Essential oils can be used aromatically, topically, or internally, depending on the oil. dōTERRA® essential oil bottles carry clear information on how each oil can be used.
Aromatically - Take off the lid and simply breathe in deeply or use a diffuser if you want to freshen, purify or scent a whole room.
Topically - Dilute in a carrier oil and apply to the sole of the foot or affected areas if you want to target specific needs. dōTERRA® have a pre-diluted range called the Touch Collection but you can also easily make your own roller bottle blends.
Internally - Add a drop to a glass of water (do not use a plastic cup), under the tongue, or in veggie capsule (dōTERRA® have a wide range of ready-prepared capsules).
BASIC SAFETY TIPS
1) Citrus oils are photosensitive. This means that skin exposed to radiant light or energy such as sunlight, tanning beds or other UV rays within 12 hours of application of a citrus oil, could experience a reaction which can range from mild to severe. Oils applied underneath clothing should be fine.
2) Certain oils such as Oregano, Clove or Cinnamon are known as 'hot' oils. Never apply neat to the skin. ALWAYS dilute in a carrier oil. If someone uses an oil and has a reaction, dilute with MORE carrier oil, not water. Essential oils and water don't mix! Applying water to the area can actually drive the oil in deeper into the affected area. Ouch!
3) Never put essential oils in your eyes, inside ear canal, or up your nose. You may apply oils around the eye bone in a C shape, on ear cartilage and behind ear bone.
4) Use a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil when applying essential oils topically to avoid skin sensitisation.
5) dōTERRA® essential oils are 100% pure oil. It is important to store them safely out of reach of children. Use child proof safety caps for peace of mind (available from dōTERRA®).
Click the bottles below for a short video clip on each of the top 12 oils.
Why do I Choose dōTERRA® Essential Oils?
This is why!